July 05, 2007 | Podcasts >
Golden, Festivals & Events
Excepted from Margaret's weekly radio segment on "All Points West", a CBC Victoria show heard every weekday from 4:00 - 6:00 PM.
Podcast for June 29, 2007.
Canada Day Celebrations:
- 50th Anniversary of official incorporation in Golden
- Kicking Horse Mountain summer season opening
- FernieFest - a celebration of music, arts and culture
- Williams Lake Stampede
- Kitimat hosting Canada Day celebrations including a Dragon Boat challenge on July 2
- Westbank's "The West Side is the Best Side" celebrations
- Discover Camping status for long weekend - all reservations are gone
July 04, 2007 | Tips from Travellers >
Surrey, Festivals & Events
My family decided to spend an evening together last night, and I thought it would be nice to go see the world famous Lipizzaner Stallions because there was a show in Cloverdale. My brother, who is twenty, was not too excited about being forced into watching a “horse ballet”, as we had described it. We got there about an hour early, purchased our tickets and waited in line.
About forty-five minutes after we entered the building, the show began, and the Master of Ceremonies introduced each of the riders and their horses, which I found very interesting. The show consisted of about ten different acts where a small group, or an individual horse and rider, would come out and perform for the crowd. There were a few routines which I found quite boring, such as the “pas de deux”, because they only showcased simple dressage movements around the ring. The highlights of the show were definitely the “airs above the ground” where the horses performed balancing movements and jumps from only simple commands of the riders. Even my brother was impressed when one of the horses started skipping across the ring.
Another good thing about this show was that the Master of Ceremonies explained a lot about the Lipizzaner Stallions, including their history, their markings, their training, and even why only the stallions and not the mares are used in performances. I found it very educational as well as entertaining.
Overall it was a great event, and I would recommend seeing it if you have the opportunity.
July 03, 2007 | Tips from Travellers >
Ucluelet, Festivals & Events
View a larger image on flickr.com
Join us for the Yu-cluth-aht Holistic Celebration of Health on August 10, 11 and 12, 2007 by Ucluelet First Nation.At the Ucluelet Recreation Field on Seaplane Base Rd.
This fun-filled 3-day event features music, speakers, workshops and much more the whole family will enjoy.
- Listen to live performances from award winning artists like Sandy Scofield and Janet Panic
- Be part of the audience with acclaimed speakers Robert and Terri Lynn Talltree attend their workshop on Saturday
- Register for one or more of the many workshops
- Attend Ron Glodoskie's workshop and listen to his keynote speech Ron has been featured on The Sally Jesse Raphael Show and has received national media coverage. A passionate and dynamic speaker, audiences find his message inspiring, insightful and provocative. People leave his presentations with strategies and skills they can use immediately
- Browse through the artisan gallery
- Enjoy native and regional food vendor offering
- Have a chance to win one of the many giveaway prizes so keep your ticket stubs when you come in, or win a prize in a workshop.
- Check out our website http://musicfest.ufn.ca/
July 01, 2007 | Tips from Travellers >
Abbotsford, Arts, Culture & History Tours
View a larger image on flickr.com
My family and I found this wonderful country market one day, Maan Farms.
We picked and ate berries (they grow their own strawberries, raspberries and blueberries...yum!), enjoyed the sun, and even relaxed with some of their deliciouse icecream.
What a treat! We will be back in August for their pumpkin patch and sweet corn.
A must for families young and old, big and small. A genuine farm experience. :)