August 31, 2011 | Tips from Travellers >
Find more information about Victoria - Fishing
I have compiled this random list of what I think are the best things to do on Vancouver Island (mainly in the summer months).
10. Go Fishing:
There are so many fishing hot spots off of Vancouver Island it's
amazing, so many choices of location (Port Alberni, Campbell River,
Sooke, Port Hardy, etc) and so many choices of fish! (salmon, trout,
9. Nanaimo's International World Championship Bathtub Race: This occurs near the end of July and is one of the biggest events of the year for Nanaimo.
8. Vancouver Island MusicFest: This happens July 10-12 in the Comox Valley, the organizers try to keep
it as green as possible, local food, recyclable products, etc! 3 days
of great music!
7. Saratoga Speedway: Located halfway between Campbell River and Courtenay, drag racing,
monster trucks and modified stock cars will keep everyone entertained!
6. West Coast Trail: This 75km hike that stretches in between Gordon River and Pachena Bay
is a popular one, reservations required! Experience the natural world of
5. Strathcona: This is BC's oldest provincial park and the location of Vancouver
Island's highest mountain. Plenty of hiking, mountain biking and camping
can be done.
Lake Cowichan, Port Alberni, Goldstream, and Tofino are some popular
camping areas, but any community on the island is campable! (is that
even a word?)
3. The Beach: There are many beaches but the most popular ones would probably be Parksville, Rathtrevor, Long Beach and Pachena Bay.
2. The River:
River swimming is very popular on Vancouver Island. Sooke Pot holes,
Nanaimo River, Nimpkish, and Englishman River are some good areas to
1. Long Beach, Tofino:
With a population of about 1900 (this triples in the summer), Tofino is
the place for surfing, classy resorts/spas, amazing beaches, fishing
and the true West Coast.
Did I miss anything?